I've had some requests for recipes. So here they are.
Granola- from Better Homes and Garden Cookbook
2 c regular rolled oats
1 c coarsely chopped almond, walnuts, or pecans (I usually use pecans)
1/2 c coconut
1/2 c shelled sunflower seeds
1/4 c wheat germ
1/2 c honey
2 Tbs cooking oil
1. In a large bowl combine the oats, nuts, coconut, sunflower seeds, and wheat germ. Stir in honey and oil. Spread evenly in a greased light cookie sheet or cooking pan. Bake at 300 oven for 15 minutes, stir and bake for 10 more minutes until lightly brown.
2. Spread on large piece of foil to cool. Store in airtight container up to a week.
(Makes abou 6 cups)
Mimi's Cafe Corn Chowder
2 Tbs butter
2 lg celery stalks, chopped (about 1 1/2 c)- I leave this out because I don't like cooked celery
1/2 c cup diced white onion
4 c water
2 c peeled and cut potatoes
1 bay leaf
1 15-oz can cream-style corn (with liquid)
1 15-oz can whole kernel corn (with liquid)
2 tsp granulated sugar
1/s tsp salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper- I just used black pepper because that's what I had
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c half-and-half- I used skim milk, again just because that's what I had
1. Saute celery and onion in the butter for 5 minutes in a large saucepan or stock pot. Don't brown.
2. Add 4 cups of water, chopped potato, and bay leaf. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3 Add creamed corn (with liquid), canned whole corn (with liquid), sugar, salt, and white pepper and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Combine flour with half-and-half and stir until smooth. Add this mixture to the soup and simmer for a n additional 10-15 minutes or until think.
5. Serve with sprinkled minced fresh parsley on top.
(Makes 2 qts- 8- 1 cup servings)